1973: The Year of the DH and other things...

Well, how was 1973, really? Well, Watergate reared its ugly head, Archie Bunker was joking about it and defending Richard "E" Nixon and we were boycotting meat and high prices. How was it really from a baseball standpoint? Well, there was this thing called a Designated Hitter that took the bat out of the pitcher's hand in the American League and a dramatic increase of home runs in the National League, namely some chap from Mobile AL, who perched himself on the doorstep of history at season's end. 

Enough about Henry Aaron and the DH, there were other elements to this historic season, elements which I have tried to recreate in my 1973 S-O-M Advanced replay. I made it all the way to late April with some slightly exaggerated numbers, 2 no-hitters, 1 from a guy named Seaver and 1 from a "Dock." When I've done replays in 1961 and 1973, I included the games that were scheduled, even bypassing the fact that some of those games were ppd. And injury rolls took out some players who were otherwise playing in that time frame. I keep hearing and seeing in Facebook posts the words "As Played Lineups." Now, it's time for a change.

Playing "As Played Lineups," I will take into account the fact that some players were actually resting or hurt. What is posted on the box score for that game on baseball-reference is what I will play. If the game was rained out, it will not be played, that's why they made double-headers in the first place. If the "plus injury" roll rears its head, it will be ignored. Trying to replay 162 games for 24 teams is impossible I know, but doing it as played, even with a twist or 2 here and there will be head-scratching in some instances, even jaw-dropping in others. 

Sometime tomorrow, the Giants-Reds opener at Cincinnati will be replayed as played, with no injuries and some jaw-dropping moments of pure excitement. I'll post it here, with box score, maybe some comments from Sparky, Pete, Johnny, Willie Mc, and maybe an appearance from "Schottzie." OK, maybe not that, but until then, feel free to check out my other 1961 replay posts. See you at Riverfront!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1973: LCS Game 3's

AL SUMMARIES: 4-20-61

1973 WS G1: Picking up where they (and he) left off